How to get PR in Canada after study

Know more about immigration with Waseer Law Office, Canada

Canada ranks among the leading nations globally, offering excellent lifestyle and employment prospects for international students. So staying back in Canada and gaining work experience is a great benefit for international students. Upon finishing their studies in Canada, numerous international students opt to make Canada their permanent home.

How do I apply for the PR Program in Canada?

Applying for Permanent Residency (PR) in Canada involves several steps, and the process may vary depending on the specific immigration program you are applying under. There are several immigration pathways to obtain Canadian PR, including Express Entry, the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), Family Class Sponsorship, and more. Here’s a general overview of the process for the Express Entry program, which is one of the most popular routes:

Find out if you’re eligible for Express Entry or any PR program you’re interested in applying for. Each PR program has unique eligibility requirements based on your age, educational background, work history, language skills, and flexibility.

If you meet the Express Entry eligibility requirements, set up an online profile on the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada) website. Ensure that you provide accurate information regarding your education, work history, language skills, and other pertinent information.

Once you have completed your profile, you will receive your CRS score. Your CRS score will depend on the information you have provided. If your CRS score is competitive, you may get an ITA (Invitation to Apply) for PR under one of the standard Express Entry draws.

If you’re receiving an invitation to apply (ITA), you’ll be given a maximum of 60 days to submit a full application for PR.

To become a Licensed Immigration lawyer in Canada, there are several steps required to complete the application and registration process. Candidates must submit a complete application to the ICCRC, which must include personal information, educational qualifications, and relevant work experience. The application fees must be paid, and the applicant must undergo a comprehensive document verification and assessment conducted by the ICCRC. During the assessment, the applicant must provide a Police Clearance Certificate to demonstrate their good character and good conduct.

Gather all the required documents, which may include educational credentials, work references, language test results, police clearances, and more. Fill out the necessary forms and submit your PR application online through the IRCC website. As part of the application process, applicants are required to undergo medical examinations and submit police clearance certificates. These checks are essential to assessing your health and admissibility to Canada.

Pay the required processing fees for your PR application and any accompanying family members.

Once you have submitted your application, you will need to await its processing by the IRCC. Processing times may vary depending on the program, your country of residence, and other factors.

In the event of approval, you will be issued a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) along with a permanent resident visa, if applicable. If you are already in Canada, you may be issued a PR card.

Switching to Work Permit before Completing Studies

In Canada, international students can switch to a work permit before completing their studies through the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) program. Eligible graduates from designated learning institutions can work in Canada for up to three years without needing a job offer. It’s important to stay updated on immigration regulations and consult official sources or experts for accurate information.

Permitted Duration of Stay After Studies in Canada

After completing a one-year study program, international students can remain in Canada for up to one year. For students enrolled in two-year programs, they are allowed to stay back or settle in Canada for three years. Moreover, the post-study work permit enables students to stay in Canada as full-time workers for up to three years after graduating from a post-secondary institution.

The student visa does not automatically grant students the right to a post-study work permit; instead, they must apply for it within 180 days of completing their course.

Documents for applying Canadian PR after Study

Common documents required for Canadian PR after study include a passport, PGWP or valid work permit, educational documents, language proficiency test results, an Express Entry profile number (if applicable), proof of funds, birth/marriage certificates, police clearance certificates, and medical exam results. Check official sources or consult with immigration professionals for the latest and most specific requirements.

Benefits of International Students Obtaining Canadian PR

Obtaining a Permanent Residency (PR) in Canada provides international students with numerous advantages. From enhanced work opportunities, social benefits, and access to education to the pathway to Canadian citizenship and family sponsorship, PR status offers stability, security, and a higher quality of life. It opens doors to economic opportunities and allows individuals to freely live, work, and study in any Canadian province. While pursuing PR can be a significant decision, the benefits it offers make it an appealing option for many international students looking to build a future in Canada.

The Prerequisite: Work Part Time!

Working part-time gives you access to Canadian work experience, which helps you qualify for immigration programs such as CEC under Express Entry, enhances your CRS scores, increases your chances of getting an ITA for PR, gives you financial support, helps you integrate into Canadian society, and gives you networking opportunities. Following immigration and labor laws will help international students maximize their PR opportunities in Canada once they finish their studies.

Waseer Law Office: Assisting with Permanent Residency Applications in Canada

An immigration attorney from Waseer Law Office can be instrumental in helping individuals apply for Permanent Residency (PR) in Canada. They offer specialized knowledge in immigration law and can assess eligibility, prepare the application with required documents, provide legal advice, submit the application, handle communication with authorities, and offer interview preparation. Waseer Law Office’s reputable attorneys can increase the likelihood of a successful PR application, but applicants should also educate themselves on the process through official sources.

The Quickest Route to Obtaining PR in Canada

The fastest way to get PR in Canada is through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) stream of Express Entry. It requires at least one year of skilled work experience in Canada within the last three years, has faster processing times, no ECA requirement, and no mandatory job offer. Stay updated and consult official sources or immigration professionals for the latest information.

Obtaining PR in Canada after studying can be relatively easier due to Canadian education, Post-Graduation Work permits, and pathways like Express Entry’s Canadian Experience Class stream. However, eligibility criteria and points requirements must be met.

If you want to get Canadian PR as a student, you’ll need to do a few things. You’ll need to finish your program of study, get a PGWP for work experience, and submit an Express Entry application in the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) stream. You’ll also need to get a good CRS score, get an ITA, and submit a successful PR application. It’s important to check official sources for the latest information.

You can apply for PR in Canada while waiting for your PGWP. Both processes are separate. Maintain valid status, meet PGWP requirements, create an Express Entry profile, and submit your PR application. Consider Canadian work experience to boost your CRS score. Monitor progress and stay updated with immigration information.

A PGWP application in Canada may be rejected due to reasons like an ineligible program, incomplete requirements, unauthorized work, application errors, or medical/security issues. To avoid rejection, follow instructions, provide accurate information, and meet all eligibility criteria. Double-check the application and submit all required documents. If rejected, consider appeal or reapplication options.


Canada provides international students with a fantastic lifestyle and abundant employment prospects, enticing many to contemplate staying and applying for Permanent Residency (PR) after their studies. The PR application process in Canada encompasses diverse pathways, including Express Entry, the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), and Family Class Sponsorship. Immigration attorneys, including those from the Waseer Law Office, can offer valuable assistance to applicants throughout this process. Working part-time during studies can bolster eligibility for PR. For precise and current information, applicants should consult official sources and immigration lawyer, such as Zia Waseer, a knowledgeable lawyer in the field.